Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, February 5, 2011

When it rains it pours…both literally & figuratively

Ok I’m starting to think 2011 has it in for me It's only the first week of Feb and so much has already gone wrong this year. The story so far...scary once in lifetime floods in Brisbane, so I spend the first few weeks in January worried about family there. We finally get word that not only is everyone is ok, but their houses where safe too.

Then I hear about more scary torrential rain and floods in Sri Lanka, so I spend the next few days worried about family there until get word that everyone is ok there. Phew!   


Then I find out that my cousin’s little baby boy is in hospital with some unknown illness. so I spend a few days praying madly once more and worried about him until I finally get word that he is improving, and is now back to his usual smiley self. Thank goodness.  

 I’m not a superstitious person but what is it they say?, Oh yeah bad stuff happens in three’s so I’m thinking things can only get better right??? Wrong! .. Cyclone hits northern Qld.  Now a year or so ago we went on a family trip to Cairns & my hubby and I fell in love with the place. I remember saying to my family that at the end of our holiday in Cairns that first time I felt like I was not going home, but leaving it. So hubby and I decided we where going to build a house in Redlynch (a suburb of Cairns). The house finished being built in Oct 2010 and we are renting in out until such time as we decide to move in ourselves somewhere down the track. So anyway 3-4 months after the completion of said house. A category 5 cyclone hits far north Qld.  As for damage to the Cairns house, well we are still in the dark about this as we have been unable to get in touch with the agents looking after our property since the cyclone hit. Completely understandable as so much infrastructure is currently down.  I figure I will just pack this worry away in the back of my mind until I know if there is actually anything to worry about. 




 So then crazy weather makes its way to Victoria last night, (The state in which I presently reside) and flash-floods occur all over the state. Water starts slowly leaking into our lounge room, pouring out of some of our external light fittings in the eaves of our house, and the garage also gets flooded. So I think ok.. breath …shit-happens &  lots of people are worse off than I am right now in Oz (i.e. Australia), so we lay down some towels to soak up the leaky water & I contact the insurance company.   


 Once again I think surely this must be the last of the bad news… but alas no… just got a call from my hubby to say that he is been involved in four car pile up on the Westgate bridge..  My first question to him of course being ‘Are you ok?!!’ & thankfully yes he is.  Double Phew.. or is that quadruple phew? I dunno.  Anyway it appears the car behind him pushed his van into the car in front. This is a bit of a double whammy as his van is his livelihood.    




 So as I sit here breathing multiples sighs both of frustration and relief, and blog-venting or possibly ‘benting’ or ‘vlogging’, I can at least console myself in the fact that through all of these trials and tribulations that life has thrown at me, in the end, everyone I love has remained safe… & that’s gotta count for something.

 Added note: 8th  Feb 2011… Camels back just broke I think…

Firstly, my brother is ok, but he's just been in a car accident too! ... Similar accident to my hubby, was hit from the back.  I am dumbfounded by the events of the past few weeks…





3 comments:

AACinderella said...

WOW BABY!!!
YES, , Thank God everyone you love has been protected.
You can always replace houses and vans.
But not families or wonderful husbands.

Love you

Mr.Shmerlap said...

double wow.

I'm glad everyone is ok.
Keep your head down.

your homie,
sam

Scotch Mist said...

Thanks friends... yes in the immortal words of Monty Python…’Always look on the bright side of life’ (whistle-whistle).